Planning your next move can be stressful and costly, but there are a few good ways you can simplify the experience by being proactive. Here are some of the top moving tips and tricks recommended by moving professionals who have seen it all:
- Schedule Ahead – Once you have set your moving date, don’t hesitate before booking your movers and reserving trucks. Waiting until the last minute will cost you more and you may have limited options for trucks and trailers.
- Prepare Appliances – Appliances are one of the hardest parts of any move due to their size, weight and unwieldy nature. Before your movers arrive, make sure that your fridge and freezer have been thawed out and emptied. Tape together any drawer, doors or other detachable pieces.
- Keep Your Valuables Separate – Nothing is more stressful than arriving at your destination and not being able to remember which box or boxes became home to your jewelry and important paperwork. Pull these items out and keep them with you to keep them from getting lost.
- Keep Your Pets Safe – Moving isn’t just stressful for you; it can have a profound effect on your pets as well. Before the movers arrive make sure your pets are secured out of the way where they won’t get stepped on or escape. This is one of the most important moving tips and tricks according to the pros.
- Don’t Move Unwanted Items – If you know you are going to be moving, it is a perfect time to start cleaning out attics, closets and garages. Hold a yard sale or call your local thrift shop to make a donation. Moving unwanted items can add to your total time unnecessarily.
- Stay Organized – Labeling your boxes and totes by room will help you know what’s what when it comes to unpacking. However, it is also important for you to separate items that are to be shipped or going in a separate vehicle, so that the movers know what to take and what to leave.
- Watch Out for Liquids and Chemicals – In most cases hazardous chemicals should not be shipped at all, but even shampoo and hand soap can cause a disaster, if a box is damaged and a leak occurs. Save yourself the trouble by disposing as much of your chemicals as you can beforehand.
- Leave Plenty of Space – Your moving team is made up of expert packers and movers. They will look around at your furniture and boxes to determine the best way to load your items into the truck. You need to leave them enough space to maneuver in your house while they are doing this, so make sure to push your boxes against the walls and not leave things in the middle of the floor.
These moving tips and tricks will help you make a smooth transition into your new home. Planning ahead and working to keep things organized will help your movers get in and out without stumbling in cluttered rooms or tripping over dogs. Having all of your appliances and furniture secured and clean ahead of time will make the process easier on everyone.
To learn more about professional moving services and to get a quote for your next move, contact Tender Touch Moving. Call us at 1-877-836-3378 or visit us online.