When you get to the day before your moving in Toronto, ON or elsewhere in Canada, you’ll probably have had many checklists: items to pack, items not to pack, things to do 12 weeks before move… You get it!
While the most important moving checklist is your Moving Day Checklist, the runner-up is your Day Before Moving Checklist. Without it, you’re likely to wake up on your moving day in panic with all that has to be done. But with a day before list full of check marks, you’ll spring out of bed ready to take on your move!
Prepare your Day Before Moving Checklist based on your move’s specifics and include anything you haven’t yet gotten around to. Also, you may want to consider these additions:
- Remove pictures, mirrors and wall hangings from the walls.
- Build your Do Not Pack pile, putting suitcases and things you’ll be taking with you, in a corner clearly marked for movers and packers to steer clear of.
- Create a folder or a binder to keep your household inventory, checklists (including this one), and all other important papers.
- Contact your moving company to check, double check and triple check that everyone is on schedule.
- Secure cash, jewelry and valuables and put it with your belongings you’ll be taking with you.
- Return any cable boxes, modems or other leased electronics equipment.
- Do last-minute banking. Get cash for movers’ tips and emergency needs.
- Return anything borrowed – including library books – and pick up anything left hanging out there – including dry cleaning.
- If someone is taking care of your children or pets during the move, check in with them and be sure all details are set.
- Back up your computer. Charge your laptop, phone and other devices. And while you’re at it, be sure your chargers don’t get packed.
- Dispose of all perishable food, opened containers, and anything that could leak. If you’re putting garbage out to the curb for pick-up, make arrangements for a neighbor to retrieve the cans.
- If you’re taking liquids with you, put them in tightly sealed plastic bags or containers.
- Remove light bulbs from lamps and lights that will be packed and moved.
- Drain hoses and anything that might be filled with water.