Although cardboard moving boxes may be cheaper and quite useful when moving to or from Toronto, ON or elsewhere in Canada, they do little to save the environment.
Nowadays many eco friendly Toronto moving companies invest into reusable plastic boxes for packing and moving. And there are some compelling practical reasons to do so.
- Reusable plastic boxes are made from recyclable high-density polyethylene, which means they are better for the environment.
- Various suppliers claim these boxes can be used for anything from 200 to 400 times. Cardboard boxes are used between 1 and 5 times before losing shape, strength and viability.
- Plastic boxes are much longer-lasting – between 5 and 10 years according to estimates.
- Plastic boxes are weather resistant, non-absorbing and more rigid than cardboard boxes.
- No need for box cutters, and zero chance of sharp objects breaking through from inside, which also means more safety.
- More convenience lowers labour time per trip, and a longer lifespan means a higher return on investment. So, all in all plastic moving boxes save costs for Toronto moving companies. In fact, if a plastic moving box was used 250 times, and initial investment was between 2 and 20 times the cost of a cardboard box, the reusable plastic box ends up costing 92% less than the alternative.
So, does renting reusable plastic boxes from Toronto residential moving company make sense? You can decide for yourself.
For more information, check out:
- A list of facts compiled by ID2 Communications
- EPA’s detailed pages on paper and pulp production
- Statistics Canada’s 2012 update on national waste management trends
- A Final Report on Life Cycle Inventory of 9 Plastic Resins for the ACA
- And Conservatree’s full white paper on paper recycling