Sometimes when you relocate, all of the details involved can make it seem like you are moving mountains instead of your household belongings. Getting organized before you make your big move, however, can help to alleviate much of the stress that is involved with relocating. Below is a moving to do list that can help you get prepared for your moving adventure.
8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Sort and Dispose: Taking a few extra moments to go through your belongings can save you an abundance of time and hard earned money in the long term. Decide which items you would like to get rid of before your move, and sort them into groups to donate, to sell, or to simply dispose of.
- Special Care: As you go through your belongings, keep notes of any items that may require special attention during transport. While some items may simply need special packaging, others might require extra insurance coverage
- Your Moving Company: Be certain to get on-site estimates for your move, and get them in writing. This is a good time to check reviews and references for your particular mover as well.
- Moving Folder: Create a special folder that is dedicated to information about your move. Organize your folder to contain your estimates, receipts, inventory list, this moving to do list, and any other information pertaining to the relocation of your belongings.
- School Records: Notify your children’s schools and have their transcripts transferred to the schools your children will soon be attending.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Perishable Items: Begin using up perishable items that you don’t plan to take with you. Remember to include things like frozen foods in your deep freezer, fruits and vegetables, and any other items that might be difficult to transport.
- Make Reservations: If you are moving long distance and will require the use of motel/hotel rooms, plane or train tickets, or other services that might require reservations, now is a good time to make those arrangements.
- Packing: If you plan to pack your household belongings yourself, stock up on supplies like boxes, tape and labels now. You might also consider packing items that you won’t need until after your move.
- Change your Address: Complete a change of address form with your local post office, notify friends and family members of your new mailing address, transfer magazines and newspapers, and change your address with anyone else of importance.
- Notify Services: Make arrangements with your utility companies, internet providers, cable TV providers and delivery services.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Take Time Off: Notify your employer of your need to take off from work on moving day.
- Vehicle Maintenance: If your move is long distance, have your vehicle checked and serviced in preparation for your upcoming trip.
- Reconfirm: Contact your moving company and confirm arrangements.
In the Week Before Your Move
- Refill Medications: Stock up on medications you might need for the next two weeks.
- Pack Your Suitcases: Be sure to include shampoos, body wash, cosmetics, clothing, and anything else you might need over the next few days.
- Clean Out the Fridge: Clean out and defrost your refrigerator the day before you plan to move.
- Plan for Childcare on Moving Day if Needed: Make arrangements for young children to visit Grandma, a friend, or a child care provider on moving day.
Don’t forget to print this moving to do list and take advantage of our comprehensive database that is filled with more useful tips to make your move easier. Contact us today for more relocation assistance.